Statement of Need
Innovate – Retina, The Stanford Innovation Summit series will take place virtually over the course of three virtual meetings. The summit focuses exclusively on game-changing innovations in medical and surgical retina, including current management of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and diabetic retinopathy, ocular imaging, gene therapy, ocular inflammation, surgical technologies, ocular oncology and the latest advances in retinal pharmacotherapy.
Topics will include late breaking retina pharmacotherapy clinical trials data, current management of neovascular AMD, diabetic macular edema, and diabetic retinopathy, updates on artificial intelligence (AI) for diagnosis, advances in molecular surgery for the precision treatment of previously untreatable blinding diseases, and novel drug delivery technologies designed to improve patient care. We will also focus on the role of imaging in determining new biomarkers for disease. Surgical innovation will be addressed in terms of new instrumentation, visualization enhancements, and image–guided surgery. A special focus will be on novel therapeutic strategies in ocular cancers such as retinoblastoma, ocular melanoma, orbital cancers, and lymphoma as an avenue to improve treatments for retinal diseases.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Identify current management of common retinal vascular diseases including wet AMD, diabetic macular edema, and diabetic retinopathy
- Discuss the efficacy, safety and treatment regimens of current anti-VEGF agents in wet AMD, diabetic macular edema, and diabetic retinopathy including long acting formulations
- Discuss the unmet needs in the management of retinal vascular diseases including radiation retinopathy
- Identify diagnostic and therapeutic targets in intraocular tumors such as uveal melanoma, retinoblastoma, lymphoma, and orbital tumors
- Impact of retinal diseases seen in diverse ethnic populations such as high myopia, polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy and pachychoroiod syndromes.
- Describe the innovation process in the academic and private practice settings
- Assess innovations across imaging, medical devices, artificial intelligence, and pharmacotherapeutics
- Examine the latest clinical data on emerging pharmacotherapeutics in retina within the context of innovation
- Evaluate key gene therapy trials for macular and inherited retinal diseases and develop strategies for managing inflammation in these patients
- Integrate novel surgical imaging systems into clinical practice
Innovate – Retina, The Stanford Innovation Summit series is for practicing retina specialists, retinal fellows in training, and vitreoretinal surgeons. Comprehensive ophthalmologists, vision and AI scientists in retina, translational scientists, oncologists and allied physicians, and imaging experts are encouraged to attend.